An independent Department of Women and Child Development has been set up in the State in June 1993. This department has been the nodal agency for formulating the State Women's Policy. A comprehensive policy for women was formulated in 1994 and is being implemented . A new policy for women was approved by the cabinet in 2001. The objective of this policy is to ensure improvements in the physical, mental and emotional quality of women's lives in the State. The goal is also to make them economically independent and self reliant. Certain areas have been identified as relevant and basic to the development of women and it is proposed initially to focus on those areas. These are : -
- Women's Charter - All Institutions to have a charter for women.
- Women centered planning from 2002-2003
- 1/3 representative for women in all cooperative, aided and non-aided institutions.
- Five lakh women to be empowered in the next five years by means of self-help groups.
- 30% of municipal galas to be reserved for marketing by women's groups.
- 50% of government funded agriculture related trainees to be women.
- Village Mahila Sabha to be held the day before the Gram Sabha, for active participation by women in village activities.
- Chairperson of Women & Child Development Committee of Zilla Parishad to be special invitee to Education, Health, Social Welfare & Agriculture Committees of Zilla Parishad.
- Municipal Councils & Corporations to have an Annual programme for Women & Child Development.
- Strict implementation of rules regarding closure of country liquor shops on demand by 50% of women in an area.
- Special efforts to increase female literacy.
- Women Hospitals & 123 first referral units to be strengthened.
- Special Health programmes for women above 40.
- Women doctors to check women as far as possible.
- Strict control over sex determination tests.
- Child Marriage-persons marrying underage girls or undergoing child marriage, to be debarred from employment in government and public sector.
- Parents of those undergoing child marriage to be debarred from benefits under government schemes.
- All public places to have toilets for women, within 3 years.
- Women to have decisive role in water supply management.
- Women's Protection Bill to be introduced.
- Steps to curb sex trafficking in women.
- Counselling Cells in police stations to be setup.
- Steps to curb dowry.
- Help lines to be instituted at district places.
- Retrospective effect to government orders regarding joint ownership in name of husband and wife on all house plots and flats allotted by government.
- Legislation to be introduced for ownership rights for wife in house property acquired by husband